If you are considering purchasing a piece of handmade gemstone jewellery from an online source, such as Etsy, or are new to the world of online jewellery shopping, educate yourself here with my collection of tips, and help ensure your online shopping experience is pleasurable and pain-free!
In Part 1 of this series we looked at Product Photographs. This week we are talking about getting it right with sizing and dimensions.
Problem #2: Jewellery Sizing / Dimensions
Size does matter!! When you are buying jewellery online from a website, you must make sure that you carefully check the sizing in the description of the jewllery piece that you are buying.
I have personally been caught out buying gemstone beads online. I bought a string of Tanzanite disc beads, that I had a wonderful jewelry design in mind for – and when the bead string arrived they were less than half the size I had expected!! Top Tip: photos can be deceptive – they make things appear bigger than they really are!!
Carefully read the product description – make sure it includes important dimensions – and to be really sure, get your tape measure out and physically check the dimensions listed. (See the example detailed description above from Big Skies Jewelley’s store.)
When jewellery shopping online, make sure the product description includes:
- Length of the necklace/bracelet, or the
- Circumference (if it is a bracelet)
- The dimensions of the gemstones beads used in the design – for example if there is a focal bead, what size is it? What size are the majority of the beads used? What are the dimensions of the pendant (width and length)?
- Hanging length of necklace pendants – how far does the pendant hang down from the chain or bead string?
- Hanging length of drop or dangly earrings – how far will they hang down from your earlobe?
- Do the product photos have a frame of reference regarding size?
At Big Skies Jewellery I include all dimensions that an online shopper needs to be fully informed and feel comfortable. I want my customer to be in no doubt as to exactly what they will be receiving, and I am very happy to adjust an item on request before shipping, to ensure that the fit is perfect (one of the advantages of buying handmade over department store!). If my customers are happy, I am happy 🙂
PROBLEM: The Jewellery you purchased is not the SIZE you expected it to be….
SOLUTION: Read the small print in the product description and check all the important dimensions are included, per the list above. If necessary, haul your tape measure out and physically check them!